Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Elephant...

was standing in the room. Let me set the stage. A week ago, we had family home evening on Monday night- and the kids were stoked to each have a "job" for family night. Julia had the song, Mom had the prayer, Daddy had the lesson: and so we traveled upstairs to watch a VHS of the Living Scriptures about Joseph Smith's first vision. Well, we're watching it and the movie progresses to when Joseph knelt to pray and is overcome by Satan. Jordan asks, "What is that black stuff?" Which was black fog portrayed in the movie as his influence, to which Ryan responded, "Satan." And Jordan asked, "Who's Satan?" Oh, man. Seriously. Is this not the wonderful innocence of children, or what? So we gave him an answer, but I have been thinking since then- when is it time/appropriate to even have to talk about him? DO we have to? I know that he does need to know and will- but it was just that sweet look on Jordan's face and the innocence that seemed so precious in that moment that reminded me that it's my job as his mom to teach him. He's going to be eight and accountable and baptised in two short years. I really felt the weight of that responsibility and I consider it a privilege. On a lighter note; Bobby then had the activity for the night- which he chose "Duck, duck, goose." Or, "Booger, Booger, Earwax." Or, "Diaper, Diaper, Poop." You know, I couldn't help myself. I was rolling with laughter at this kid of mine who seriously has charisma and antics at any moment. "I can't believe he said that!" you might say. Nope, he did. My kids are all mine. All mine.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

The duck, duck, goose game that Bobby came up with is hysterical! Matthew would get such a kick out of that! Fun seeing you tonight!