Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Wild and Crazy




Girls' Night. Our usual is eating out and shopping- talking and laughing as much as possible. Last week? The art exhibit: Monet to Picasso! Jamie had this great idea to go and see this exhibit and I highly recommend it. Standing a few feet away from fine works of art- centuries old- was so inspiring. I, too loved "The Thinker" sculpture by Rodin, and of William Ernest Henley; inspired by his poem:

Invictus
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

So I was reminded of my College Prep. English class from High School with Miss Shelley- where we read many great works that inspired such art: Dante's Divine Comedy, Oedipus Rex, etc. and Jamie and I talked about how we now needed to re-read all of it! It was an inspiring exhibit- an amazing exhibit that is only temporary! So afterwards, we went to Red Butte Cafe'- and as we waited, and waited, our drunk waiter never returned- so wild and crazy as we are; we left to go to Friday's- where we all ordered Parmesan chicken and spinach tortellini with cheesecake and brownie to top it off- delicious. So, as I walked in my house at 11:15 p.m. I felt grateful for inspiring art, big laughs, and a wild and crazy night with three of the greatest friends a girl could ask for.

2 comments:

Michelle Day said...

When I read that poem, I think of having to memorize it for my Sorority days!!!

Unknown said...

Hey! I hope you had a great time on my campus! I walk past the UMFA all the time headed to and from classes. Yay!