Sunday, September 21, 2008

YES! I am a Marathoner...


I did it. I ran my marathon yesterday- September 20! I have really sore muscles today, but it was worth it- I met a goal. I was so nervous! But I had Ryan with me the whole way. So here's the breakdown: Miles 1-3: Good. No knee problems. Miles 3-5: Knee started hurting. I took Ibuprofen at the aid station- and at mile 8 got my left knee wrapped! Miles 8-13; Breezy and fun! Loved the scenery, music I was listening to (thanks Kina!) and was having a great time. Miles 13-18: I was in the Zone! The miles ticked by effortlessly, and I was having FUN! I was almost in tears at mile 18 because I had just ran 18 miles and was feeling good! I was so happy! Mile 20: bent down to notice that my left knee was swollen. I had no problems with it during training until I hit 17 mile runs. Mile 23: put more Biofreeze on my knee and noticed it was 2x the size it should be... dang! Miles 23-26.2- Hard. I was feeling good physically and mentally; but was getting frustrated with all the diversions into every neighborhood in Providence... I wanted to SEE the finish line! Mile 25- running up Main Street and wondering, "Why did we have to run past the park- twice?" Ryan began to really slow down and was having cramps in his calf muscle... Me? Feeling good besides the KNEE! We had to stop and walk several times... and we could have made our time 4:40-ish, but finished at 5:05! That's five hours of running! I feel so grateful.. I prayed my little heart out and was specific with my knee- and I received an answer to my prayers. I made it! I crossed the finish line with all the cheering from the crowd, my name being called out- and I finished with Ryan's hand in mine- which I thought was fantastic. We ran by an older couple- we would pass them, then they would pass us... but I noticed that they were holding hands while walking, too. The weather couldn't have been more perfect: overcast, and at times, rainy! Here I am; listening to "Unwritten" by Natasha Bedingfield, and she says, "feel the rain on your skin" and I was. I am just so full of gratitude just thinking about it.. and thinking about my next- yup- don't think I'm done. So here's my challenge: sign up for your race and I will run it with you or cheer you on with my bells and whistles! This was the perfect run for me: fall color in the mountains, red maple leaves at my feet- singin' to my music- and having a great time accomplishing a goal that I NEVER thought I could or would do. But I know that one thing's for certain: If you set a goal- share it with others- I am grateful to all my friends and family for cheering me on! Thank you for caring about me- I crossed the finish line and CRIED!! Out of gratitude, happiness, and relief! There's nothing like it.

(p.s. Walking through the aid stations was the BEST advice.. Thanks, Jason!)

12 comments:

Lizz said...

Way to GO!!! That is seriously amazing! I love that you and Ryan did it together.

Michelle said...

I am so proud of you! Way to go!!!!

Steph said...

Awesome! Congratulations.
I hear they are addicting!

Gnolaum said...

I wish I would have known you were running the marathon yesterday! You ran right past my parents house in Providence and I was up there this weekend :).

Nelson Family said...

Amanda, you are seriously so amazing! Way to go---make a goal and accomplish it! You are truly an inspiration! Let's PARTY!!! LOVE YOU!

Jamie said...

Wowwzers! I'm so proud of you!!! And you look so good in your after pic. What's up with that? Congratulations!

Jaynan said...

I can't even imagine how difficult that would be, but I'm sure it'd feel GREAT afterwards! Horray for you!

Louisa said...

Way to go girl! That is so great! I have watched my FIL run a few and I don't think I could ever do it. Seriously amazing. Congrats!

Unknown said...

YEAH!!! I'm so proud of you sis!! Good night Nelly! Way to go! Provo 1/2 Marathon! I'll give it a try if you run with me!

The Hemenway's said...

That is so awsome!!! I am so proud of you, and you are an inspiration to me!!

Ashleigh said...

I'm so impressed and inspired! I got your text barely. I had a few text messages telling me my minutes used that I hadn't opened and I missed yours in with them. Anyway, CONGRATULATIONS! You're amazing!

Marci said...

I couldn't be more proud to call you my jogging friend! You run for all of us who don't even want to try. Great job!!!
Marci