Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Favorite Quote

My Favorite quote came to mind this morning as I was running along my little tour de Herriman... I'd like to share it:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”
-Marriane Williamson

Is that great or what?! It gives me courage to try just about anything! Something has happened to me since turning 30 that has really been amazing- I have the confidence to say, "I'll try anything once!" I am willing to try just about anything one time- if it doesn't work out- then oh, well; I tried. I have more confidence now than ever before and I think it is because I have decided that if I really want something, that I can go and get it. Do I really want to be in shape and healthy? Then I need to exercise and eat right. Do I really want to learn and grow as a mom? Then I need to put into practice things I am reading..(love&logic!) Do I want my house to be organized and clean? Then I need to do it- no one else is going to do it for me. I really hope this doesn't come off as arrogant- because that's not what I meant when I began. I just really believe that sometimes we shrink and hide because we don't want to fail or come across as overly-confident. So... here's to being brilliant, talented, gorgeous... fabulous. You are a child of God.

7 comments:

The Hemenway's said...

Thank you for that great thought, it is something to think about, love it.

Louisa said...

Yes, it is a good thought. Also what you said about how you have decided to do things and get it done because no one else is going to do them is really true. I think that a lot more people need to have that attitude. (Me included sometimes.)

Ryan said...

will you try Sushi?

Amanda said...

Umm.. I should give sushi another try..

Steph said...

That brought tears to my eyes Amanda! And it was really something I needed to hear (read?)
Thank you!

Marci said...

Amanda, you are so amazing and did I mention that I am glad that I can count you as one of my best friends? I have never known anyone quite like AMANDA DAY!! You are always so positive and looking to build others up and who cares if you don't like SUSHI??? (The thought of that makes me throw up in my mouth a little:) Anyway, thanks for the quote I'll have to remember that. I also agree with the 30's and I think we are all being transformed (if you will) to becoming the people our Father in Heaven wants us to be. Thanks again! That was areat quote!

Paul and Alli Watson said...

Mandy!!! I am so glad you found me blogging. I have added you as one of my blogging friends and I'm excited to be able to keep in touch this way. Your family is adorable! We should try to get together soon.