Sunday, August 3, 2008

Step Aside, Mom!

I am getting to the point with my kids where I am seeing that there are times when I am just not needed! Like a helicopter, I feel like I need to hover over them to protect them, explain things to them; help them. I am seeing lately that it's not going to be long before I will need a new strategy. Case in point: our visit Wednesday to Dr. Roth's office! We love Southridge Pediatric Dentistry! So in January- our last visit, the Dental Assistant took Jordan back without me, and asked me to wait without him and I almost panicked; but he did great! This last week- they took BOBBY back without me, and he did great! I could visualize what would've happened, had I followed: Me: "Oh, he's only two. He might not lay back in the chair. Want to watch a movie, Bobby? It's okay, honey! Open your mouth for them..." Like I said, Helicopter. Instead, I waited in the waiting room with Julia- and when they were ready to see Dr. Roth, I went back to find both boys, calmly laying back, watching the movie. Jordan allowed them to do x-rays, clean his teeth, etc. Bobby allowed them to clean his teeth! I was shocked! They opened wide for Dr. Roth, both have healthy teeth, no cavities!! They acted like prize citizens! Woo-hoo! The other case in point? Taking photos with Tina Miera. She knows what she's doing, and she doesn't really like to have mom behind the camera yelling, "Say Cheese!" (Just my observation!) She does her thing, asks them questions, tells them what she'd like them to do for her, and snaps pictures. You're just along for the ride, mom. Every once in awhile she will show you what she captured, and says, "That's the one!" or "I got it!" So I am thinking: "I am here for you when you need me." I love my kids- what a great job: being a mother.

No comments: